Mission and Leadership
The ACG Institute’s primary mission is to advance the field of clinical gastroenterology through education and research. Consistent with that mission, the ACG Institute for Clinical Research & Education serves as a forum in which to build on the goals of the College. The Institute promotes research in clinical gastroenterology, educates physicians and the public, and provides resources to support the future needs of clinical gastroenterology, GI patients, as well as young clinical investigators who as they develop careers in academic gastroenterology, enrich knowledge and treatments in digestive diseases.
Founded in 1994, the ACG Institute for Clinical Research & Education has emerged as a major source of funding for patient care oriented gastroenterology research, and an active and effective sponsor of educational programming for consumers and physicians alike.
Under the ACG Bylaws, the ACG Institute Board of Directors is composed of the ACG Institute Director, a Board of Trustees representative (the College’s Vice President), the Chair of the ACG Research Committee, the Chair of the ACG Educational Affairs Committee, up to six At-Large members, and the ACG Executive Director. The ACG Institute Board of Directors is responsible for managing all the programs of the ACG Institute for Clinical Research & Education, including oversight of all patient and physician education programs of the Institute, public awareness campaigns on digestive health, and the awarding of clinical research grants.
ACG Institute Board of Directors
- Nicholas J. Shaheen, MD, MPH, FACG, Chapel Hill, NC, ACG Institute Director
- Carol A. Burke, MD, FACG, Cleveland, OH, ACG Vice President
- William D. Chey, MD, FACG, Ann Arbor, MI
- Frank Hamilton, MD, MACG, Bethesda, MD
- Sunanda V. Kane, MD, MSPH, FACG, Rochester, MN
- Eamonn M. M. Quigley, MD, FACG, Houston, TX
- David T. Rubin, MD, FACG, Chicago, IL
- John R. Saltzman, MD, FACG, Boston, MA, Chair, ACG Educational Affairs Committee
- Brennan M. R. Spiegel, MD, MSHS, FACG, Los Angeles, CA, Chair, ACG Research Committee
- Bradley C. Stillman, Esq., ACG Executive Director
- Zobair M. Younossi, MD, MPH, FACG, Fairfax, VA